2020 was a very UN-traditional year for weddings. So is now the time to change other stuff about them? Someone polled people who’ve been married, and asked if we should keep doing these ten traditional wedding things.
Here’s what they said . . .
1. The bride’s family should pay for it? That’s one of the top traditions people want to STOP following. 43% say ditch it. Only 25% say keep it. Everyone else isn’t sure.
2. Not seeing each other until the ceremony? 28% think it’s dumb now.
3. The bride should wear white? 24% think it’s outdated.
4. Exchanging rings? Only 5% of Americans say ditch that one.
5. The bride’s father giving her away? Only 14% say cut it.
6. The bride and groom’s first dance? Most people still like that one. Only 6% said no.
7. Tossing the bouquet? 11% are sick of it.
8. The garter toss? 26% don’t want to see it at weddings anymore.
9. Throwing rice or birdseed? 31% say stop.
10. The bride promising to cherish and “OBEY” her husband? 50% don’t want to hear that line anymore. But only 38% of men agree, compared to 61% of women. (YouGov)