Thanks to Halloween, October is a huge candy month . . . and almost EVERYONE is going to be buying candy over the next few weeks. But not everybody buys the same loot to hand out to trick-or-treaters.
CandyStore.com reviewed candy purchases from the past 16 years, and put together a ranking of the top three candies in every state. Of course, people buy candy for a lot of reasons throughout the year . . . so they focused on the months leading up to Halloween.
Here’s the Top 10 overall . . . along with the states where it was the top seller:
1. Reese’s Cups . . . #1 in: Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, New Hampshire, and Wyoming.
2. M&M’s . . . #1 in: California, Kansas, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and D.C.
3. Hot Tamales . . . #1 in: Minnesota, New Mexico, and North Dakota.
4. Skittles . . . #1 in: Alabama, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.
5. Sour Patch Kids . . . #1 in: Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Nebraska, New York, and Texas.
6. Starburst . . . #1 in: Indiana, Michigan, and South Dakota.
7. Hershey Kisses . . . #1 in: Arizona and Maryland.
8. Candy Corn . . . #1 in: Our hearts. (???) Kidding. It was only #1 in Utah.
9. Hershey Mini Bars . . . #1 in: Hawaii, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
10. Snickers . . . Idaho.
Outside of the Top 10, Twix is #1 in Alaska and Montana . . . Butterfinger is #1 in Arkansas, Massachusetts, Virginia, and Wisconsin . . . Milky Way is #1 in Colorado . . . Almond Joy is #1 in Connecticut and Missouri . . .
Tootsie Pops are #1 in New Jersey, Tennessee and Washington . . . 3 Musketeers is #1 in Mississippi . . . Blow Pops are #1 in Ohio . . . Lemonheads are #1 in Louisiana . . . and Jolly Ranchers are #1 in Georgia.
One last note: Candy Corn has been climbing up the overall list lately, and it’s now more popular than Snickers and Butterfinger.