It was a big weekend at the Olympics, and the U.S. is still in the overall medal lead . . .
We added a bunch of golds in swimming, as those events finished up: Katie Ledecky dominated the women’s 800-meter freestyle . . . Bobby Finke snagged gold in the men’s 1500-meter freestyle . . . and Caeleb Dressel won THREE more gold medals.
He snagged one in the 100-meter butterfly . . . 50-meter freestyle . . . and was part of the men’s team that set a new WORLD RECORD in the 4-by-100-meter medley relay.
Also, golfer Xander Schauffele took home gold with a clutch par on his final hole. And we added a bunch of silvers in swimming, track-and-field, BMX, gymnastics, and weightlifting. Here’s the medal count as of last night. (Monday, August 2nd at 12:00 A.M. ET.)
1. USA: 60 . . . 20 gold, 24 silver, 16 bronze.
2. China: 51 . . . 24 gold, 14 silver, 13 bronze.
3. Russia: 44 . . . 12 gold, 19 silver, 13 bronze.
4. Great Britain: 32 . . . 10 gold, 10 silver, 12 bronze.
5. Japan: 31 . . . 17 gold, 5 silver, 9 bronze.
(You can check the up-to-the-minute medal count at Olympics.com.)