1. The NFL still hasn’t made an official comment on the NO-CALL that sent the Rams to the Super Bowl . . . but on Friday, they FINED Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for his not-so-legal hit on Saints wideout Tommylee Lewis.
The $26,739 fine was for a helmet-to-helmet hit, the one that should’ve also been called pass interference. Clearly this shows the league agrees that the play should have been flagged. But this isn’t unprecedented . . . the league occasionally fines teams and players for things that were not flagged during the game.
2. If it wasn’t already clear, the NFL’s Chief Financial Officer says they won’t consider replaying any portion of the Rams / Saints game, because it would cost the NFL “more than $100 million.” That may seem like a lot, but replaying the game would mean they’d have to postpone the Super Bowl.
3. Harry Potter, a.k.a. Daniel Radcliffe, is rooting for the Rams to win the Super Bowl, although he doesn’t think they’ll actually win.
(Here’s video. He also takes a shot at Tom Brady for reportedly being a Trump supporter.)
Daniel Radcliffe says he’s rooting for the Rams in the #SuperBowl and has a message for Tom Brady: “Take that MAGA hat out your locker” | #Sundance #VarietyStudio presented by @ATT pic.twitter.com/uGI608bP3b
— Variety (@Variety) January 26, 2019
5. Here’s something you probably didn’t know: The NFL’s Pro Bowl happened yesterday. The AFC All-Pros defeated the NFC’s squad, 26-7.4. “USA Today” has a list of 20 stats that “best illustrate” the Rams / Patriots matchup . . . but they’re pretty hardcore.
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Jets safety Jamal Adams were named the MVPs. (If you care about the game, there’s a rundown, here.)
There was a funny moment after the game when Jason Witten grabbed the Pro Bowl trophy to present it to Mahomes and Adams . . . and it BROKE IN TWO. It’s probably safe to say the NFL didn’t break the budget on this year’s trophy. (Here’s video.)
jason witten can’t even present the pro bowl trophy correctly pic.twitter.com/8SKDdlU6bt
— Jordan Heck (@JordanHeckFF) January 27, 2019
7. Budweiser uses Bob Dylan’s song “Blowin’ in the Wind” in their Super Bowl ad, which is about embracing the renewable energy from wind power.
8. If you haven’t heard, Pepsi’s Bubly sparkling water will be featured in a Super Bowl ad with singer Michael Bublé. In the ad, he’s sitting on the floor of a store . . . changing the spelling of BUBLY to BUBLÉ with a black marker.