It’s National Grab Some Nuts Day . . . as in almonds, cashews, and pecans. Jeez, get your head out of the gutter.
Here are a few quick stats about nuts that are totally appropriate and not suggestive in any way . . .
1. America has more nuts than anyone else. 40% of the world’s nuts are grown in the U.S., and we lead all other countries in nut production. Especially almonds.
2. Women eat more nuts than men. Around 38% of Americans will eat nuts today. That includes all the nut butter we consume. Women over 60 crave nuts the most.
3. There’s a world record for crushing nuts by sitting on them. A guy in Japan crushed 122 nuts in under a minute.
4. The largest nuts in the world weigh over 50 pounds. They’re called “coco de mer” nuts, and they’re only found on a few islands in the Indian Ocean.
5. Grabbing a handful of nuts is good for you. A study at Harvard found the more nuts you eat, the longer you live. Almonds have the most fiber, and macadamia nuts have a lot of healthy fat.