Here’s a fresh round-up of coronavirus insanity . . .
1. Here’s another reason not to leave the house anytime in the near future. Public places may have to shut off their air conditioning this summer, because the way that air conditioning recirculates air can spread coronavirus.
2. A pub in Cornwall, England has installed an electric fence in front of the bar inside to keep people a safe distance from the bartenders.
3. There’s a conspiracy theory going around that the coronavirus test is a deep nasal swab because they’re secretly implanting something in your head. Obviously that’s not true . . . but I’m sure like a third of the people I went to high school with believe it.
4. Here’s another sign of just how unprepared this country was for a pandemic: Houston is having trouble tracing coronavirus cases because they’re relying on the labs FAXING results to one fax machine.
5. A study found that if airlines would just stop selling middle seats, it would cut the risk of catching coronavirus on a flight by almost HALF.
BUT . . . American and United are both selling middle seats now, JetBlue and Alaska are going to start selling them again soon, and Delta and Southwest are planning to start selling them again in September.
6. Florida just broke the record for the most coronavirus cases in one day . . . but hospitals are admitting to ERRORS in testing, with some hospitals reporting a 100% positive test rate.
7. California just announced several businesses that had reopened will have to shut down again as coronavirus cases continue to increase rapidly. The state is shutting down indoor restaurants, movie theaters, bars, gyms, barbers, and more.
8. New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo says people visiting New York from other states will have to provide contact info when they arrive and begin to quarantine . . . and if they don’t, they’ll face a $2,000 fine.
9. Senator Ted Cruz was photographed flying on American Airlines on Sunday not wearing a mask. His office says it was just because he was drinking coffee . . . although a photo of him sitting at the gate also shows him without a mask.
10. Some bad signs have been emerging around the ideas of herd immunity or even a vaccine. It seems that the antibodies you develop after surviving coronavirus don’t last all that long and you can catch it again within months.
11. Have you seen people on social media saying that coronavirus isn’t a big deal because the death rate is so low?
Here’s a breakdown of what a 1% mortality rate actually means for this country . . . plus all the other ways the disease permanently affects people’s health as well.
12. Here are the updated stats on CONFIRMED coronavirus cases as of last night . . .
New daily cases in the U.S.: 65,488, with 465 new deaths.
Total cases in the U.S.: 3.47 million, with more than 138,000 deaths . . . and more than 1.54 million who’ve now recovered.
Total cases worldwide: 13.2 million . . . with 575,600 deaths . . . and more than 7.7 million people who’ve beaten the virus globally.